Dr. Weil appeared on the Kevin Rose Show podcast yesterday with some immune-boosting tips to best deal with the coronavirus. I couldn’t find a website with show notes, so I took my own notes, which I am posting here.
- Hand washing plus not touching your face is the best defense against viral infections.
- Take 2,000-4,000 IU Vitamin D3 daily
- Dr. Weil really likes the Chinese herb Astragalus. It is a powerful anti-viral agent with lots of research behind it. He says to take 1-2 capsules of a standardized twice a day.
- Mushroom extracts. Stamets 7 Immune is mentioned. Weil likes the Cinnamon flavor of the Microshield throat spray when he travels or thinks he might been exposed to someone sick.
- He really likes allicin, which is an anti-microbial compound found in garlic. You can purchase a supplement or get it from garlic.
In order to get it from garlic, the garlic needs to be chopped up and exposed to room temperature for 10-15 minutes. Weil said you can then cook with it, but that didn’t sound correct. The Healthy Home Economist said in the article How to Maximize the Allicin in Garlic:
Allinase is destroyed once the garlic is heated above 117 °F/ 47 °C for wet heat and 150 °F/ 66 °C for dry heat.
Dr. Weil read a letter from a Chinese doctor that mentions a county in China with 1.3 million people where most of the garlic is produced. There hasn’t been a single case of Coronavirus there, even though 30,000 of their residents work in the Wuhan region. Those residents consume a lot of garlic.
What other tips would you add to this list?
Photo by Shelley Pauls