I was interested in learning more about influence. This title jumped out at me.
Influencer : The Power to Change Anything by Kerry Patterson and 4 other authors is full of stories on how groups and organizations can influence change. They break down their strategies into six sources of influence.
- Make the Undesirable Desirable – Personal Motivation
- Surpass Your Limits – Personal Ability
- Harness Peer Pressure – Social Motivation
- Find Strength in Numbers – Social Ability
- Design Rewards and Demand Accountability – Structural Motivation
- Change the Environment – Structural Ability
Most of the book was interesting, but not that applicable to my life. If I were a manager, director or higher in a company, I think I’d appreciate this book more. The one lesson I took away from this book was the importance of stories. Combining lessons and values into stories have a more powerful effect on influence than telling people what they should do.
If you really dig stories on when influence works and doesn’t work, check out Influencer. If you are more like me, just read Chapter 3.