I just finished watching Fermentation Workshop with Sandor Ellix Katz twice. If you are interested in getting started with fermented vegetables or kefir, it is must see.
Fermentation Workshop with Sandor Ellix Katz is an almost 2 hour long workshop by the author of Wild Fermentation. It is an excellent presentation. Sandor covers history, health, different cultures, ideas for ferments and the science. And he does it all while making a vegetable ferment.
I loved this DVD. There were no pauses. Sander is passionate about fermentation and covers a lot of information. Many of the ideas covered in the DVD are things I learned through trial and error. I would have loved to have gone back in time to when I first getting interested in fermentation and watched this presentation. Regardless, I still learned more.
Not only was the demonstration educational, it was inspiring. Even though I’ve been making ferments for over two years now, I felt like jumping up and starting another ferment. Actually, I did. Sandor also covered making kefir, which is something I did a few times and then got out of the habit. Now I’m all fired up to resume making kefir again!
Some topics covered in Fermentation Workshop include:
- Nutrition and mineral bio-availability.
- An overview of different types of ferments.
- How raw milk differs from pasteurized and what it means for fermentation.
- A kefir demonstration.
- A fermented vegetable demonstration.
- Discussion on how to vary salt levels based upon taste, temperature and how long you need to preserve your ferment.
- He demonstrates how a German made Croc prevents surface mold.
- A complete discussion on food safety, with a core message that fermented veggies are always safer than raw. The reason is pathogenic bacteria can not survive acidifying bacteria.
- How people with digestive issues such as IBS, acid reflux and constipation can dramatically improve their health with fermented vegetables, dairy ferments and kombucha.
If you live in Seattle, you can put a hold on this DVD at the library. However, expect to wait at least a month. You may just want to buy it. The video and audio quality are excellent. The DVD also has an interview with the Sander Katz that is also worth watching. Even though a lot of information is covered, you will not feel overwhelmed at the end. You will feel empowered. I highly recommended this DVD.