Today when I was finished rendering tallow in my Crock Pot, I attempted to filter it using a coffee filter. In the past, this has worked. But for some odd reason today the tallow did not want to go through the filter. So I quickly came up with an alternate solution that I ended up liking better.
For years I’ve held onto a Vietnamese Coffee filter. I think I used it once. When you have a kick ass espresso machine, all other coffee gear gets buried away. Anyway, I used the Vietnamese coffee filter and it worked great. Not 100%, but good enough for me. I guess cheese cloth would be ideal, but when you don’t have any and you need to go MacGyver, it works!