I received this recipe from a vendor at the farmers market. I used raw milk in place of cream and adjusted the ratio of ingredients. This soup was super delicious. Give it a try. If you don’t have goat sausage, go ahead and use a quality pork sausage.
Summary: A Toscana soup recipe using a spicy goat sausage.
- 1 pound sliced goat sausage (spicy is better)
- 1 large organic potato (or 2 medium)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup of sliced leek
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2/3 cup of raw milk or heavy cream
- Saute the sliced goat sausage.
- Put broth and cream in soup pan.
- Put soup on medium heat.
- Chop potato into 1/2 bite size pieces.
- Add goat sausage to soup.
- Add sliced leeks to soup.
- Add chopped kale to soup.
- Add crushed red pepper.
- Let soup simmer for 40 minutes, stir occasionally.
Cooking time (duration): 60 min
Diet (other): High protein, Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 3-4
Culinary tradition: Italian
Nov 23, 2010 — 9:17 pm
Looks and sounds good! Of course, I will have to substitute pork for the goat 🙂
Oct 4, 2013 — 6:30 am
We are fortunate enough to have a farmer’s market that has goat as both stew meat and sausage. This recipe is a classic sausage and leek soup and is wonderful on a cold snowy afternoon.