It was not my intention to make a vegan friendly recipe, but this turned out so good that I had to share it. I’ve made this Thai curry twice now and I love it. And as good as it tastes, the best part might be that it costs very little to make. In fact, I received the pumpkin for free. Once you dig into a pumpkin, it is shocking how much “pumpkin meat” is inside. My freezer still has a few pounds of pumpkin waiting for my next curry.
When it comes to making curries, I don’t measure anything. Just throw in as much or as little as you like. You really can’t go wrong. If you like the ingredients and the spice level, it is very likely you will like your curry. I’ve made curry well over 100 times and the combination of pumpkin and broccoli stood out to me as a personal favorite. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Pumpkin and broccoli are super healthy too. Both made the cut in the book The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth.
Summary: A vegan friendly Thai curry that uses a lot of pumpkin.
- Coconut Oil
- Cubed pumpkin
- 1 can of coconut milk (or cream)
- sliced onion
- Thai Curry Paste (Massaman, Panang, Red or Yellow all work well)
- chopped broccoli
- cabbage or bok choy (optional)
- rice (I like white sushi rice best)
- Heat pan with coconut oil.
- Add sliced onion and caramelize.
- Add Curry Paste (however much you want, you always add more later)
- Add Pumpkin Cubes
- Pour in can of Coconut Milk
- Start making rice in another pot.
- Add broccoli to curry and lower heat to simmer.
- Let it cook until veggies are soft.
- (optional) add a few pieces chopped pieces of cabbage or bok choy.
- Serve curry over rice!
- Salt to taste or you could use fish sauce if you don’t care about the vegan angle.
I like to mix the sushi rice into the curry at the end and then let it sit for 15 minutes. The rice soaks up more of the pumpkin flavor and provides an almost cheesy like texture.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Culinary tradition: Thai
Mae Ploy Thai Red Curry Paste – 14 ounce per jar