Almost a month ago I started a new 30 Day experiment of going a month without any sugar or fruit. My goal was to once and forever determine if there was a link between sugar and my frequent headaches. I didn’t think there was, but I wanted to run an additional test to confirm.
On day 4, I accidentally consumed a few grams of sugar in a BBQ sauce. Then mid-month I learned that Sriracha sauce has trace amounts of sugar, so there was another gram. All in all, I was doing pretty well. However, the headaches didn’t go away. In fact, they started to increase in frequency. So last Saturday, I ended my 30 Day experiment a few days short. Giving up sugar was easy for me. Giving up sugar while sleep-deprived from headaches not caused by sugar just started to seem pointless.
Photo by brx0
The good news is I can eliminate sugar from the guilty suspects causing my headaches. I don’t consume much and I do think going almost a month without sugar reset my sweet cravings that spiked during the 2nd month of 16 hour daily fasts. Now I am back to normal. I’ll resume eating blueberries and dark chocolate.
Last week I did get a good lead on the cause of my headaches. It is way too soon to discuss, as I only have 5 days of data. When I know more, I’ll share the details. But for now, I’m going to get some chocolate. 🙂