Be sure to check out my Potato Hack Diet Best of Page.
Earlier this month I posted No Hunger Games – A Day of Just Boiled Potatoes. It was a trial run of two days of eating just cold boiled potatoes. That post goes into why it is easy to go into a calorie deficit without feeling hungry if one just eats potatoes. The Potato Diet guide on Vegetable Pharm is the comprehensive guide. If you have any questions, they are likely answered there.
The two-day test showed me a few things:
- That I could eat to satiety in a caloric deficit. No hunger.
- That I could sleep throughout the night and not wake up hungry.
- With my current coffee consumption, I found I felt much better throughout the day than I currently do when I intermittent fast. If I were not a coffee drinker, I might prefer IF, but ditching coffee as we head into a Seattle winter is not an option.
Shortly after the two-day experiment, I planned to start The Potato Diet, but I caught a minor cold and then had to travel out of state for a week. Well, now I am back and feeling great. I’m ready to do my first major food experiment in a very long time. Here is my plan.
- GOAL: Lose 15-20 pounds
- POTATO DIET: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday every week.
- EXERCISE: Sunday, Thursday
Continue with 3x a week until your goal is met and then scale to a maintenance plan. Discontinue or scale back if I experience excessive lethargy or coldness. If after a month I fail to see at least a 5# lose, I will reassess.
I will be boiling white potatoes and be consuming them cold. No salt, spices, or anything. If the diet is successful and I use the Potato Diet as a maintenance tool, I might add salt or spices at that time.
Today is Day 1. I don’t plan on doing weekly updates. Maybe 1-2 updates a month. Some of you will want to know why I have picked this diet over other strategies. The short answer is I do better on simple rule diets that require minimal planning. The long answer will be the topic of a future post.
The best resource for the potato hack is the Tim Steele book Potato Hack: Weight Loss Simplified