This winter I decided to go all out on an effort to boost my immunity so I would not get sick. It failed miserably. I had more sick days this winter than any year in the past decade with the exception of 2015.
In March I caught a cold. Then I caught a meaner version of the same cold about 3-4 weeks after fully recovering from that last one.
Here is a list of items and actions I took to boost my immunity. A few ideas I got from the comments in an earlier post.
- Ginger supplement
- Garlic (some fresh, some cooked)
- Sauna use (2x a week average)
- Meditation (average 12-14 min daily)
- A mushroom supplement recommended by Dr. Weil (Stamets 7)
- pau d’arco (which is supposed to help with infections and inflammation)
- good sleep (8 hours most nights)
- regular exercise (but not overdoing it)
- sunshine (when available)
- no drugs (including prescriptions), no alcohol, no smoking
- a clean diet rich in fruits, veggies, tubers, whole grains, and lean protein. Low sugar as well.
My gym recovery times have been poor as well. I’m stumped. Boosting my immune system to prevent colds was the very question I began researching back in 2007 that sent this blog into a health direction. Twelve years later and I still don’t have the answer.