In early 2008, I had 5 health goals.
- Stop Getting Sick from Colds – Every year I was spending more and more days sick. I was sick and tired of being sick and tired.
- End Back Pain – Do alignment exercises and stretch to strengthen core and increase flexibility.
- Cold Weather Exposure – Become more comfortable with cold weather and trigger a fat loss response.
- Build Muscle and Strength – The never-ending journey. 😉
- Fat Loss – Going into the year I didn’t believe I could get leaner without losing muscle, which would have conflicted with #4.
Grade card time. How did I do?
- Stop Getting Sick from Colds A+ : My thesis of loading up on superfoods, especially those with antimicrobial, antiviral and antiparasitic properties has worked wonders. I NO LONGER GET COLDS. Despite being surrounded by sickness, my immune system fought off everything.
- End Back Pain D : In the last year, I did more stretching and alignment exercises that any other time in my life. Unfortunately, it wasn’t enough or it was poorly executed.
- Cold Weather Exposure A+ : Wearing a short-sleeve shirt down to the mid-30s and a polar bear swim earns me an A+. I love the freedom of not being affected by cold weather. Note this is Seattle cold weather, not Ohio cold weather. 😉
- Build Muscle and Strength B : This wasn’t a ground breaking year at the gym, but I did set some new personal records. My pull-ups went from 5 to 20 and I am now using a weighted belt for both dips and pull-ups.
- Fat Loss A- : This was totally unexpected. By loading up on superfoods to prevent colds, I got a lot leaner. Then I discovered Intermittent Fasting. I did not spent a single minute on cardio or interval training.
Overall it was a very good year. I’m going to declare victory against Colds and Cold Weather. Here are my 2009 Health Goals.
- End Back Pain (Core, Alignment, Flexibility) – I’ll do a post just on this item later, but let me say this it priority #1 this year.
- Build Muscle and Strength – I’m a dude. This will be on my list until my last breath. I do intend on doing a 100 pound weighted pull-up for 3 reps.
- Fat Loss – Although I’m happy with where I am at, I stumbled on some information Sunday morning that I believe will result in additional fat loss this year. Let me just say that a new experiment has begun.
How about you? Do you have any health goals this year?